Federal judge Sérgio Moro accepted on Thursday (1st) the invitation of President-elect Jair Bolsonaro (PSL) to head the Ministry of Justice and Public Security.
The two were gathered this morning in Rio de Janeiro. Moro arrived at Bolsonaro's house in Barra da Tijuca, just before 9 a.m. He came from Curitiba on a career flight and without security.
After the meeting, Moro issued a note saying that he accepted "honored" the invitation. Moro also said that he accepted the position with "certain regret" because he will have to abandon his career as a judge after 22 years of magistracy.
"However, the prospect of implementing a strong anti-corruption and organized anticorruption agenda, with respect to the Constitution, law and rights, led me to make this decision," Moro wrote.
"In practice, it means consolidating advances against crime and corruption in recent years and avoiding the risk of setbacks for a greater good," he concluded.
According to the judge, Operation Lava Jato will continue in Curitiba "with the valiant local judges". He said he's going to move away from new audiences.
With the decision to move away from the judiciary, Moro will no longer question former president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva - the PT would be heard on November 14.
Shortly before the note was released, an advisor to the president-elect had already confirmed the judge's decision to the GloboNews columnist and G1's Valdo Cruz.
Moro is the fifth minister announced by the Bolsonaro government. Another four have already been announced: Onyx Lorenzoni (Civil House), Paulo Guedes (Economy), General Augusto Heleno (Defense) and Marcos Pontes (Science and Technology).
Jair M. Bolsonaro
✔ @ jairbolsonaro
Federal Judge Sérgio Moro accepted our invitation to the Ministry of Justice and Public Security. Your anti-corruption agenda, organized anti-crime as well as respect for the Constitution and laws will be our north!
11:25 AM - Nov 1, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy
President Jair Bolsonaro confirmed through Twitter that federal judge Sérgio Moro accepted his invitation to the Ministry of Justice and Public Security.
"Your anti-corruption agenda, organized anti-crime, as well as respect for the Constitution and the laws will be our north!" Said Bolsonaro.
Moro says accepting ministry depends on anti-corruption agenda and organized anticrime
During a flight from Curitiba to Rio de Janeiro, Sergio Moro told TV Globo that there was nothing definite and that accepting the invitation to take over the ministry depended on the anti-corruption and anticrime agenda organized for the country.
"If there is the possibility of an implementation of this agenda, convergence of ideas, how this will be done, then there is a possibility. But as I said, everything is very premature," said Moro.
Note released by Judge Sérgio Moro
I was invited by the President-elect to be appointed Minister of Justice and Public Security in the next administration. After a personal meeting in which politics were discussed for the portfolio, I accepted the honored invitation. I did so with regret, because I will have to give up 22 years of magistracy. However, the prospect of implementing a strong anti-corruption and organized anti-corruption agenda, with respect to the Constitution, law and rights, led me to make this decision. In practice, it means consolidating advances against crime and corruption in recent years and avoiding the risk of setbacks for a greater good. Operation Lava Jato will continue in Curitiba with the valiant local judges. In any case, in order to avoid unnecessary controversy, I must at once withdraw from new audiences. Next week, I will give a press conference in more detail.
Curitiba, November 1, 2018.
Sergio Fernando Moro