A city whose architectural beauty and glory is described by the French painter Alain Bailhache as follows:
"Isfahan does not belong only to the Persians, it is a reminder of the initiative and the art of its creators. It is an inheritance that has come to us throughout history and continuing to hold as a heritage of humanity for the future."
Dear friends, in the first part of today's program, we visited one of the well-known avenues of Isfahan called Chahar-Baq. This avenue was developed and built in the safavida era as a walk, which in its time was one of the most beautiful in the world. It is easy to find out the name of the avenue "Charar-Baq" (four gardens), since around dala there are known gardens. This long, wide avenue, with tall, towering trees, starts from Darwazeh Dolat (the Government Gate) in front of the current Palace of the Prefecture and reaches the Safeh Mountain Coast (or the Shiraz Gate).
The bridge of "Alha-Werdi-Khan" or "Sio-se-Cheshme" (33 water sources) divides in two parts this avenue being awaited until today, its initial state.
According to the book of "Alem Araye Abbasi", this avenue was built in the year 1006 of the lunar heather that coincides with the year 1598.
When the well-known Italian tourist "Pietro Dellavalle" visited Isfahan in 1616, he admired Chahar-Baq Avenue for its extension compared to the famous Italian viaducts. Likewise, the French tourist Chardon, who lived during the time of the Safavid kings in Isfahan for a period of time, wrote in his script about this avenue: "It is one of the most beautiful walks I have seen or hate."
As time passed, around the Avenida de Chahar-Baq were built houses and commercial buildings. In part to the north of the avenue also was constructed another equal avenue, allowing to unite both ways. The length of the two avenues is six kilometers, being one of the major thoroughfares of Isfahan.
This avenue was divided in two lanes for cars, two for bicycles, and three sidewalks for pedestrians; The divisions are separated by four rows of sycamore trees and olive trees.
For tourists visiting Isfahan today, Chahar-Baq Avenue with its towering tall trees and varied and ancient and modern markets and certain historical places, is considered one of the most beautiful avenues in the world.
At the edge of this beautiful avenue there is a glorious and dreamy building, which with its turquoise dome and the minarets of tiles attracts the attention of all people. This building is known as "Chahar-Baq College" or "Soltani College" or "The College of Mother of the King".
Few people have traveled to the city of Isfahan, an extensive museum of Islamic arts, but have not visited Chahar-Baq College. This large college was founded at the time of the monarchy of King Soltan Hossein, the last governor of the Safavid dynasty. The building's construction lasted 10 years and was completed in 1714.
In fact, Chahar-Baq College is a part of the "Soltani" complex which includes a market and a "Caravansara", a place for the rest of caravans of trade. Given that Soltan Hossein's mother had dedicated the proceeds of the Caravansara and the market to the expenses of this religious college, so they also call it "Mother's College of the King." It is not exaggerated, if we say that all that is in Isfahán is of attraction of the visitors and the foreign tourists like example in the College of Chahar-Baq, they are a collection of tiles of Iran. In such a way that, some of the visitors describe it With terms such as magical, attractive and enjoyable.
The College of Chahar-Baq with an area of 8500 m2 has four pavilions. On the exterior facade of the building there is a large head. Around the entrance there are 17 vaults on two floors built with bricks. The head of the door is decorated with fine and small tiles and also with plaster decorations in different designs and colors. The inscription of the headline that contains the date of the foundation of college is done in calligraphy Nastaliq in white color and the background of the tiles with turquoise color. The interior part of the college consists of an entrance, an interior courtyard, a dome, a minaret and several rooms.
The College of Chahar-Baq has quatra balconies, a large courtyard with a dome and two beautiful minarets. The balconies are in four corners of the college and each with two-story rooms that serve as accommodation and study for students of religious science. In total the school has 150 rooms.
Also inside the school a "Madi" rider runs past the old pine and sycamore trees. In Isfahan it is said "Madi" to the brooks that diverge of the river Zayandeh-rud.
The dome and the minarets of the school dazzle like a jewel for the glory and the beauty of its surroundings, are covered by decorations of plaster and tiles, as they were frequently observed in the safavida season, made by skilled masters, that easily attract the Attention of any visitor.
According to professional masters, the different methods of work done with tiles such as the seven color tile decorations that were applied in college became the exclusive building. Therefore, also the college has been called the museum of different works done in tiles. Another feature of Chahar-Baq College is its old wooden door decorated with gold and silver, which is at the level of one of the most valuable, artistic and cultural works of the city of Isfahan. The College of Chahar-Baq is an example of the art made with gold and also of Qalam-zani (recording) that evolved in the safavida era. The poems written in Nastaliq calligraphy in relief is the work of Mohamad Saleh Isfehani, famous calligrapher of the Safavida era.
The twelve-stair pulpit (tibuna) of the Chahar-Baq College, built of one piece of marble, is one of the examples of the art of jewelery and stone sculpture of the Safavida era. Beside the pulpit of the college there is a precious mihrab.
In fact, the College of Chahar-Baq is a complete set of all the architectural experiences and evolved art of the tenth and eleventh centuries of the lunar hijra.
It is noteworthy that the Chahar-Baq College was built four centuries ago (IV) for the purpose of becoming a seminary to study religious sciences, and after the victory of the Islamic revolution of Iran was denominated as the College of Elmyyehye Imam Sadegh Are for him), since at present the place of formation of students in the Islamic science continues.
Elmyyehye Imam Sadegh College is one of the largest centers of its kind. Next to the college there is a large library called Imam Jafare Sadeq and a small traditional market in the city of Isfahan. Taken together, it can be said that the extraordinary style of architecture has doubled the glory of this college.
Dear friends, we hope you enjoyed today's program. Until the next program we can present you with more monuments and historical attractions of Isfahan.